2014 Progress and Planning Workshop
- Organizers: Nico Luco & Sanaz Rezaeian
- Date: Sunday, September 7, 2014 (13:00-16:00)
- Location: Hilton Palm Springs Resort, Palm Springs, CA
Background & Objectives
SCEC’s GMSV TAG is a collaboration between scientists and engineers to develop and implement testing and rating methodologies for simulated ground motions to be used in engineering applications. This workshop discussed recent experience and progress from engineering projects that are collaborating with SCEC on the evaluation and use of ground motion simulation methods. This session also discussed the goals and practical challenges that must be addressed to implement and use proposed ground motion validation methodologies.
This GMSV TAG workshop constituted the second (afternoon) session of a joint SCEC Workshop on Earthquake Ground Motion Simulation and Validation with the SCEC Community Modeling Environment (CME), co-convened with Phil Maechling and Tom Jordan. The first (morning) session of the joint workshop focused on recent scientific and engineering results from SCEC ground motion modelers and recent improvements to computational software and methods. The concluding hour of the joint workshop aimed to develop an outline for an integrated simulation and validation program, involving scientists and engineers, that will accelerate the use of ground motion modeling methods by engineering users.
|13:00 - 13:15||Overview of GMSV TAG and Related Efforts||S. Rezaeian|
|13:15 - 13:35||Evaluation of SCEC Broadband Platform Phase 1 Ground Motion Simulation Results||C. Goulet|
|13:35 - 13:55||Validation needs of the SCEC Committee for Utilization of Ground Motion Simulations (UGMS)||C.B. Crouse|
|13:55 - 14:10||Discussion||All|
|14:10 - 14:30||Validation of Ground Motion Simulations through Simple Proxies for the Response of Engineered Systems||J. Baker|
|14:30 - 14:50||Validation of Simulated Ground Motions Based on Evolution of Intensity and Frequency Content||F. Zareian|
|14:50 - 15:05||Discussion||All|
|15:05 - 15:25||Use and Validation of Simulated Earthquakes for Nonlinear Performance Assessment of Tall Buildings Considering Spectral Shape and Duration||N. Bijelic|
|15:25 - 15:45||Validation of the Duration of Simulated Ground Motions to Be Used in Analysis of Geotechnical Systems||K. Afshari|
|15:45 - 16:00||Strawman GMSV TAG Plans for Next Year and SCEC5||N. Luco|
Summary of Outcomes
- Workshop participants discussed moving towards an integrated earthquake ground motion simulation and validation program in SCEC5.
- To facilitate validation for specific engineering applications, workshop participants discussed getting some simple validation proxies on the SCEC Broadband Platform.
- Zareian's presentation briefly discussed the need to relate validation proxies to engineering demand parameters.
- Workshop participants requested further improvements of ground motion simulations via close user-modeler collaboration on iterative applications of validation methodologies. Zareian and Olsen expressed interest in such collaboration.
- It is difficult to coordinate the GSMV TAG projects because they are each only part-time efforts with their own schedules. This issue was raised by the PIs. One potential solution is a multi-PI project, which was discussed further during a GMSV TAG In-person Coordination Meeting the day after the workshop.
- There was some discussion on what the SCEC Utilization of Ground Motion Simulation (UGMS) needs from the GMSV TAG, namely validation of Cybershake simualtions.