2012 Progress Workshop
- Organizer: Nico Luco
- Date: Sunday, September 9, 2012 (13:00-17:00)
- Location: Hilton Palm Springs Resort, Palm Springs, CA
- Participants: 157 registrants (view list)
Background & Objectives
SCEC has established a Technical Activity Group (TAG) focused on Ground Motion Simulation Validation (GMSV) in order to develop and implement, via collaboration between ground motion modelers and engineering users, testing/rating methodologies for the use of ground motion simulations in engineering applications. In April of this year, the TAG held a small workshop to coordinate GMSV-related SCEC projects funded in 2012, before they began in earnest. At that workshop, participants also discussed near-term plans for GMSV of the simulation models on (or soon to be on) the SCEC Broadband Platform, for use in developing the median part of ground motion prediction equations for elastic spectral acceleration (e.g., Abrahamson and Silva, 2010).
The main purposes of this half-day workshop at the SCEC Annual Meeting are to ...
1. Share and discuss progress on the GMSV-related SCEC projects funded in 2012 and the Broadband Platform Validation Project, and
2. Obtain feedback on these projects and identify priority activities/topics for the 2013 SCEC Science Collaboration Plan.
|13:00-13:05||Welcome and Background of GMSV Technical Activity Group and Broadband Platform Validation Project||T. Jordan|
|13:05-13:10||Overview of Agenda (pdf)||T. Jordan|
| SCEC Broadband Platform Validation Project
Moderator: Phil Maechling
|13:10-13:15||Session Introduction||P. Maechling|
|13:15-13:30||Motivation and Needs (pdf)||N. Abrahamson|
|13:30-13:45||Validation Plans (pdf)||C. Goulet|
|13:45-14:00||Simulation Plans (pdf)||P. Somerville|
| SCEC GMSV Technical Activity Group Projects
Moderator: Nico Luco
|14:45-14:50||Session Introduction (pdf)||N. Luco|
|14:50-15:05||Engineering Perspective on Simulation Validation and Use of the Broadband Platform (pdf)|| J. Baker |
|15:05-15:20||Validation of Broadband Platform Ground Motion Simulations for Historical Events (pdf)|| F. Zareian |
|15:20-15:35||Comparison of CyberShake Hazard Models with NGA Models Using Averaging-Based Factorization (pdf)|| F. Wang |
| Priority GMSV Activities/Topics for 2013 SCEC Science Collaboration Plan
Moderator: Kim Olsen
|16:05-16:10||Session Introduction||K. Olsen|
|16:10-16:20||Summary and Background of 2012 Priorities (pdf)||N. Luco|
|16:50-17:00||Summary of Discussions||K. Olsen, N. Luco|
Notes from Workshop Discussions
- Distinguish between validation for hazard calculations (where what matters is getting distributions of the intensity measure correct, including joint distributions of multiple intensity measures) and validation for engineering analysis (where what matters is building response, and typically the target intensity measure level that the ground motion should have is specified).
- Make sure there is language linking GMSV to the six main objectives in the science plan, so that proposers understand how to note which science plan objectives their proposal addresses.
- Invite proposals for implementation and/or validation of new components on the Broadband platform (e.g, nonlinear site response).
- Emphasize analysis/estimation of site effects, including nonlinear effects (for GMP-related projects, as well as GMSV-related projects).
- Expand pseudo-dynamic rupture generators, in particular to include super-shear rupture.